Keeping it Green
Everything we do at Hopworks is filtered through a lens of sustainability. Our commitment to maintain environmentally responsible and efficient brewing practices extends to our beer and food ingredients. As we continue to broaden our approach to sustainability, we push ourselves to reduce our impact on the planet. Below are a few of the metrics that we use to track our progress:
Water is incredibly important to quality beer, so we help ensure that Portland’s great water system will exist long-term by minimizing our water footprint as much as possible.
- In 2015 we measured our water consumption at 3.39 gallons of water for every gallon of beer we produce. That is down from 4.23 gallons in 2012. The average for craft breweries is closer to 7 gallons.
- In 2015 we installed a custom-built brewery cleaning system to further reduce our use of water and cleaner.
- The brewery’s heat exchanger captures the water that we use to cool down boiled wort and place it directly in the hot liquor tank.
- We install Low-flow faucets, dish-washing machinery, and restroom facilities in our buildlings.
- We catch and store 1,100 gallons of rainfall for dry season irrigation and outdoor cleaning
- We use pervious pavers on our 6,000 square-foot upper parking lot, and our lower parking lot run-off is sent to groundwater through a 5,000 gallon retention pond
We’ve taken every opportunity to find the most efficient energy options for our operations.
- High-efficiency chiller for brewery operations
- Zone AC units for restaurant spaces for right-sized cooling needs
- We install LED, Fluorescent lighting and ENERGY STAR appliances including hand dryers in bathrooms
- Purchase 100% renewable Clean Wind energy for the brewery through PGE. Last year we offset about 379,000 lbs of carbon.
- Our goal is to cut our landfill to zero. We’re proud of our progress and make improvements every year.
- We send over 750 tons of spent brewing grain to an organic dairy farmer in the Willamette Valley for cattle feed.
- Not counting that spent grain, we recycle or compost 89% of our waste, with only 11% going to landfill. Counting the grain, we divert 98.6% of our waste from landfills!
- We work with local companies such as St. Vincent de Paul Food Recovery Network, Organic Valley Coop, and Dragonfly Chai to distribute usable food and reusable materials.
- Our malted barley is 100% USDA Certified Organic.
- All of our beers feature organic certified hops and/or Salmon-Safe Certified hops.
- Our Nonstop Hef Hop and Pig War White IPA contain red spring wheat that was grown on our small estate farm on San Juan Island.
- 88% of our grain is grown less than 300 miles away, in the Klamath Falls area of Southern Oregon.
- We have worked with many of the same hops, malted barley, and other material suppliers throughout the entire life of the brewery.
Our kitchen has the same ethos as our brewery, to serve up world-class food, sustainably.
- We source ingredients from local, environmentally conscious growers and producers whenever we can. Check out our list of of ingredients and their designations here.
- Food Alliance Certified Shepherd’s Grain flour used for all in-house dough and baked goods.
- Many of the wines we choose to serve are from Salmon-Safe Certified and/or B Corp Certified wineries.
- 100% Recycled Napkins, to-go containers, paper towels, and other tissue products.
- Strong policies to minimize and sort waste in the kitchen.
- We offer meals to employees during their shifts. That works out to about 36,00 shift meals in 2014.
- More than 2/3 of all commutes to work are by bicycle, walking, public transportation, or carpool. We estimate that works out to 140,239 miles worth of alternative transportation.
- We offer quarterly raffle for employees that use active transportation.
- We minimize trips between the Hopworks Powell brew pub and BikeBar by ensuring full return trips with each delivery
To offset our impact, we purchase both carbon and water offsets:
- We purchase water offsets from Bonneville Environmental Foundation for 2.5 million gallons of water, more than our annual consumption at both restaurants and the brewery.
- We fully offset our carbon footpring with offsets from ClearSky Climate Solutions.